We so rarely have rain in southern California. Whenever it rains I start planning all the soups and stews I want to make. Yesterday was the perfect day for soup but unfortunately I did not have time. Of course, today is a sunny and warm day. Despite the warm weather, I still want my soup fix.
This soup is simple to make and is full of vegetables and fiber. Enjoy!
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 sweet onion, diced
* 1 pound mushrooms, trimmed & sliced
* 1 pound new potatoes, chopped
* 4 celery stalks, diced
* 3-15 oz cans white beans (cannellini), drained & rinsed
* 1 garlic clove, diced
* 2 bay leaves
* 16oz low-sodium vegetable broth
* 1 lemon, juiced
* 1 ½ cup almond milk (any milk you like)
* salt and pepper
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat and add in onions. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Then add mushrooms, potatoes and celery. Mix to combine and cook for 7-10 minutes more with a lid.
- Add beans, garlic and bay leaves. Combine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add milk and simmer for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and mix in lemon juice. Serve.