Going out to a restaurant with friends or family is always fun social experience. If you are trying to eat healthy then restaurants can be a challenge. Here are few tips to help you navigate restaurants.
- Before heading to a restaurant, check their menu online. Find a few healthy items that sound good to you.
- Avoid buffets.
- Drink water, tea, coffee or another zero calorie drink.
- Limit alcohol.
- Skip the bread and chips.
- Order an appetizer for your entrée
- Request that sauces, gravy and salad dressings be served “on the side”
- Order steamed, grilled, baked or broiled dishes instead of dishes that are fried or breaded.
- Trim the fat from meats and remove any skin from chicken.
- Just because it is a salad does not mean it is always the best choice. Carefully read the ingredient list.
- If you have a hard time with portion control, ask for a doggie bag when you order. That way you can divide the dish in half before you even start to eat.
- Once you have made your healthy choice, sit back and enjoyed the time you have with friends and family.